The FX – Gradients widget applies an animated gradient background to a row, column or other page element. The subtle movement creates a calming visual point of interest to a page without being distracting. With support for 6 colors and several animation customization options, it’s effortless to align this visual with your brand and color palette.
The FX series of widgets are built with simplicity in mind, providing one dedicated effect that is used as a background for a row, column or other page element. Since these effects are applied as backgrounds, everything else in the row (such as text and images) appears on top of the effect – as it should.
WIDGET PLACEMENT AND SIZING
- Drop the widget into your site and place it where you would like the image and effect to be seen. It may be placed in a row or column.
- If you would like to add the effect to an existing hero image, simply drop the widget into the row with your hero image.
- Open the widget option panel.
- Apply to: This dropdown provides multiple options for how you choose to apply the effect. The available options are Current Row, Current Column, Entire Page, Custom CSS Selectors, Flex Section (Flex Layout Only) and Flex Grid (Flex Layout Only).
Current Row: Applies the effect to the background of the row the widget is placed in.
Current Column: Applies the effect to the background of the column the widget is placed in.
Entire Page: Applies the effect to the background of the entire page. In this case, the widget may be placed anywhere on the page except the header or footer. Placement in the header or footer will result in the effect being applied to the entire site.
Custom CSS Selectors: This advanced option allows you to target elements using their CSS class or ID. This is useful when trying to apply the effect to the backgrounds of things where a widget cannot be placed, such as a gallery or slideshow. See the Advanced: Using Custom CSS Selectors section below for more information.
Flex Section (Flex Layout Only): Applies the effect to the background of a Flex column. This can only be used in Flex layouts.
Flex Grid (Flex Layout Only): Applies the effect to the background of a Flex column. This can only be used in Flex layouts.
The Design section allows you to customize the look and feel of the Gradient effect.
- Animation Duration: This setting sets the amount of time that the entire animation will last. Smaller values will result in faster, more noticeable visuals.
- Tilt Angle: This is the angle in which different gradient colors meet each other.
- Tilt Angle Direction: The direction that the angle will rotate.
Each color used has its own set of options:
- Gradient Color 1/2/3/4/5/6: This sets the color of the gradient.
- Gradient Color 1/2/3/4/5/6 Position: This sets the position point in which the color is combined with the color before it. The value is percentage based, based on a maximum value of 100%.
ADVANCED: USING CUSTOM CSS SELECTORS
The Apply to setting gives the option for Custom CSS Selectors. This allows you to target most any element on the page, including things that cannot be targeted using the other Apply to options; such as slideshows, galleries, etc.
Using Custom CSS Selectors requires that you identify the class or ID of the element you’re targeting. The best way to do this is to use the Edit HTML/CSS option.
In this example, we will use the class of a gallery as a custom CSS selector.
- Right-click the element you wish to target.
- Select Edit HTML/CSS.
- Find the div class and copy it.
- Paste the class in the Custom CSS Selector field in the widget.
- Note that a period has been added in front of the class name. Class names should begin with a period (.) and IDs should begin with a hashtag (#). This step is required, and is a rule of working with CSS classes and IDs.
- The effect will now be applied to the gallery only.